About Tarkett North America
From its humble, entrepreneurial beginnings in 1880, to becoming today’s #1 global manufacturer of resilient floorcoverings, Tarkett has never wavered in its commitment to providing innovative, sustainable solutions for the built environment. We’ve brought together some of the world’s most prestigious brands to create the industry’s most comprehensive portfolio—including soft and resilient surfaces, and the accessories that pull them all together. Whatever your flooring design or installation challenges, Tarkett has you covered.
Originally known as Allibert & Sommer, our heritage of performance and innovation began in Paris in the late 1800s. Through a series of careful acquisitions, we’ve grown to provide customers with 1.3 million square meters of flooring per day, in more than 100 countries around the world. Each acquisition has been intentionally considered to expand our design and production capabilities, while ensuring an unwavering commitment to healthy materials and responsible manufacturing.
Timeline of Global Growth
Learn more about our company origins in the Tarkett History book.
One Name for Every Space
Through our acquisitions of Johnsonite, Tandus Centiva and Lexmark, we’ve brought a complete portfolio under the Tarkett name that meets the needs of any market segment, including Hospitality, Workplace, Education, Healthcare, Retail, Multi-Family and Residential. With Tarkett, you can easily select a flooring platform for the specific needs of every space—and design with materials that don’t just look beautiful, but function well. Our full palette of colors, patterns and textures is coordinated to work together visually across platforms, letting you easily carry a design aesthetic throughout an entire floorplan.
For nearly 140 years, Tarkett has been a leader in transformative flooring solutions. While our methods have evolved, our process still begins with careful consideration of the goals held by those who live, work, and play on our surfaces each day. Taken together, we call our mixture of craft, science, and purpose Tarkett Human-Conscious DesignSM. And it drives everything we do.
Tarkett Human-Conscious Design is our commitment to stand with present and future generations. To create flooring and sports surfaces that are good for people and for the planet. And to do it every day by:
- Designing from a deep human understanding
- Providing conscious choices for people and planet
- Remaining with you, every step of the way
Designing for Health & Wellness
We are often asked to simplify our sustainability story. The truth is that making a positive impact on our world and its citizens is not so simple. Reducing the use of fossil fuels and incorporating recycled materials into our products can pose challenges, but Tarkett is working hard to make these improvements—because we value your health, and that of our environment. In our ongoing efforts to promote sustainability, achieving carbon neutrality is just one more step toward creating a better world.
- Cradle to Cradle Certified™ product standards guide our eco-design approach on the basis of five criteria: material health, product circularity, renewable energy and climate requirements, water stewardship, and social fairness.
- Tarkett North America provides the industry’s broadest selection of carbon-neutral floor coverings, including carpet tile, Powerbond, LVT, rubber tile, homogeneous and heterogeneous vinyl sheet, and linoleum—all certified Carbonfree® by the Carbonfund foundation.
- We’ve completely removed phthalates from our entire product portfolio, and drastically reduced VOC emissions to contribute to better indoor air quality.
- We were the first flooring company to create a take-back recycling program, and we continually look for new ways to increase the content of recycled materials in our flooring solutions.
- We design our products for the lowest possible use of water, detergents and energy while cleaning, thus reducing their environmental footprint throughout their lifecycle.